Halewood

u3a

Interesting Buildings

Status:Active, open to new members
Leader:
Pat McLachlan Tel: 07903 460110
Leader:
When: Various times & places throughout the year

OPEN TO ALL

Out latest visit was when thirty six members took to the local train and car and met up at Port Sunlight on 29th July.

The weather was ideal for our walking tour; we split into two groups with our guides, Mike and Terry. They gave an excellent tour of the Village and  a glimpse into the office part of the factory.

William Lever started the business in 1884; he specialised in selling individually wrapped bars of soap and he came up with the name 'Sunlight'.

The following year, with his brother Janes D'Arcy Lever, the factory was up to full capacity, the sales of the soap being so successful. By January 1887 the brothers had to look for alternative premises. They chose the current site as it was near to Birkenhead for a source of labour, the land was cheap as it was marshland, but it was close to the river and railway. 

Lever’s interest in the Garden suburb design and layout with a non uniformity of houses and open spaces was well planned and executed. 

The principal buildings consisted of: Railway Station, Men’s Social Club, Post Office, Lever Free Library, Fire Station, Pavilion, Church, School etc

Members thoroughly enjoyed the very informative trip by our well versed guides.

Following the tour there was the opportunity to walk free around the estate and quite a few of us went for lunch or coffee in the Lady Lever Art Gallery. 

Some of our past visits have included the Mersey Tunnel, the Old Dock, the Nordic and Greek Orthodox Churches, Knowsley Recycling Centre, the Royal Court and Empire Theatres, the Liverpool Cathedrals, the Masonic Hall and Western Approaches Museum.